Consultant on Interdisciplinary Research and Education
- To Educate the People Consortium. Outreach education. SUNY Cortland and presentations at a national meeting in Kansas City, Missouri. l98l
- The Academy of Independent Scholars. Interdisciplinary humanities. l983-84
- The Institute for Sports and Humanities. Interdisciplinary telecourses. l984
- Institute for Renaissance Interdisciplinary Studies. Interdisciplinary research. l983-86.
- Center for Advanced Research in Language Acquisition. University of Minnesota. Interdisciplinary research and teaching on language and culture. 11.10-13.l994
- English Department. Bowling Green State University. Bowling Green, Ohio. Developing interdisciplinary curricula in English departments. 3.l985
- St. Andrews College, North Carolina. Interdisciplinary general education. 1988
- Interdisciplinary Humanities Program. University of North Carolina, Asheville. 3.l986
- School of Natural Resources, University of Michigan. Graduate and postdoc research teams. l988-89
- The European Cultural History Program, Eastern Michigan University. Interdisciplinary teaching in European travel-study programs. 8.l988
- Interdisciplinary Core Program. Defiance College. Interdisciplinary curricula. 2.9-l0 l989
- Senior Administrative Staff and Interdisciplinary Task Force. Ohio State University. Promoting interdisciplinary research and graduate education. 10.20.l991
- Watauga College Department of Interdisciplinary Studies. Appalachian State University.10.l992
- Center for Innovative Learning. Eastern Michigan University. 9.14.1995.
- All-University Curriculum-Harry Jack Gray Teaching and Learning Project. University of Hartford. 14-15 March 1996. Interdisciplinary and general education.
- Brigham Young University, Hawaii. 8.20-22.1996. Interdisciplinary general education.
- Capitol University. Cleveland, OH. 617, 1999. Interdisciplinary masters degree.
- Brandeis University. 3.17.2000. Interdisciplinary teaching and course design.
- Concordia College. Moorehead, MN.11.30-12.1.2000. Interdisciplinary general education.
- Louisiana State University (Lafayette). Summer 2001. General Education reform (Internet)
- Eastern Michigan University. 1.17.02. Interdisciplinary research and education. President’s Speaker’s Series
- Marymount University. 2. 7-8.02. Interdisciplinary General Education reform.
- University of Michigan. 2001-2007. Interdisciplinary Initiatives [various]
- Harvard University. Project Zero. 4. 7-9. 2004. Interdisciplinary research and education.
- End of Life Group. Wayne State University. 9.9.2004
- Master of Liberal Studies Program. University of Michigan, Dearborn, 10. 14-15. 2004
- Oregon State University. 11. 12. 2004. Creating an interdisciplinary campus culture.
- Central Michigan University. Dean’s Retreat. June 6. Interdisciplinary Programs. 2005.
- University of Washington Seattle and Bothell campuses (hosted by Simpson Humanities Center and Graduate School on Seattle campus and the Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences program at Bothell). Addresses and Consulting on “Creating Interdisciplinary Campus Cultures” November 30-December 1, 2006.
- New York City College of Technology. Brooklyn, NY. Invited expert. Address: “Methodologies and Academic Discourse: Conversations Across the Disciplines” and Best Practices: Workshop: Interdisciplinary Course Development, Teaching and Pedagogy, Student Learning, and Assessment.” 6 February 2009.
- (for) Dr. Charles Whitten. Children’s Hospital. Wayne State University. Community pamphlets for the National Association of Sickle Cell Anemia. l974
- (for) Masao Tsunematsu and Sanford Marovitz. A Bibliography of Herman Melville Studies in Japan. Matsue: Shimane University, l979
- (Consulting Editor). Volume l8 of Reviews of Research in Education. On interdisciplinarity. l991
External Evaluations of Programs
- Interdisciplinary Humanities Program. University of Puget Sound. 11.l986
- Interdisciplinary Studies Department. North Adams State College, Massachusetts. 5.l988
- All-University Curriculum. University of Hartford. 4.l0-ll.l989.
- SAGE General Education Program. St. Andrew’s College. Fall l993 and Spring l994.
- Lonergan College. Concordia University. Winter l994.
- University of South Florida. 9 March.2001
- Edgewood College, Wisconsin. External Evaluator of Interdisciplinary Programs. 11-13 March 2007.
External Evaluation of Candidates for Tenure and Promotion
- Reviews of Candidates for tenure/promotion at University of Hartford, University of Delaware, University of Illinois, New York University, St. Cloud State University, University of South Carolina, Miami University, Hartford University, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Book manuscripts: Iowa State University Press, Wayne State University Press, Oryx Press, The College Board, New York State University Press, Jossey-Bass, ERIC
- – SAGE (two reviews in 2007), Temple University Press (2008), Routledge (2009)
- Article Manuscript Reviewer: Criticism, Issues in Integrative Studies, Annals of Scholarship, Academy of Management Review, Journal of Research Practice (2004), Science, Technology and Human Values (2004)
- Science Studies (2006-08), Inquiry: an Interdisciplinary Journal
of Philosophy (2007), Issues in Integrative Studies (2008)
- Invited confidential internal review of penultimate draft of forthcoming report on “Facilitating Interdisciplinary Research. National Academies of Science. Washington, D.C. 2004.
- Member. National Steering Committee of HASTAC. Ongoing. Chair of 2009 Nominations Committee.
- Member. Editorial Board of Issues in Integrative Studies. Ongoing.
- Member. Editorial Board of Science Studies. Ongoing.
- Member. Planning team for national conference on transdisciplinary science. Washington, D.C.: National Cancer Institute of the NIH. October 10, 2005.
- Member. Advisory Board. New Directions in Humanities, Science, & Policy. Ongoing. Planning and participation in National Science Foundation funded workshop on “New Orleans, the Mississippi Delta, and Katrina.” New Orleans (March 22-24, 2006)
- Member. International Scientific Committee of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences on projects for Evaluating Research in Context. Ongoing.
Judge and Panelist
- Judge: University Affiliates Program. Academy for Educational Development. United States Information Agency. January l994.
- Judge: New Directions in The Earth Sciences and the Humanities. Cofunded by NSF, NASA, NEJ, Biosphere II, U.S. EPA, and U.S. Geological Survey. Fall 2001 and Winter 2002.
- Reviewer: Social Sciences Research Council of Canada (1997, 2003, 2004, 2007)
- Judge: Education and Technology, Digital humanities grants. National Endowment for the Humanities. 2001, 2006, 2008
- Judge: National Science Foundation. 2004, 2005, 2006
- Judge: Transdisciplinary Brain Cancer Research. National Institutes of Health. 2006.
- Chu-Shikoku District, Japan. l978-79. In conjunction with appointment as Visiting Foreign Professor. Ministry of Education.
- Tribhuvan University. Kathmandu, Nepal. l987-present. In conjunction with Fulbright Professorship. In 1993 sponsored Shreedhar Lohani, Visiting Fulbright Scholar at Wayne State.
- Centrum Leo Apostel at Free University of Brussels and WORLDVIEWS project in Antwerp. On design of interdisciplinary research teams. Site visits: 3.l989 and 11.l990
- (to) Dr. Tad Krauze, Hofstra University. On interdisciplinarity national system of Poland. 1.l993
- University of British Columbia. On promoting interdisciplinary research and education. 3.5-6.l993. Individual Interdisciplinary Studies Graduate Program. 2.25-3.4.1998.
- Lonergan College. Concordia University. On interdisciplinary assessment program. 5.3-4.l993.
- International Research Development Center. On enhancing interdisciplinary research and problem solving in third-world projects. Ottawa, Canada. 5.24.l994
- University of Auckland, New Zealand. Appointed l995 University of Auckland Foundation Visitor. Lectured and conducted workshops on ID research and curriculum in varied fields.
- Switzerland. Ernst Basler and Partners, 1996 (strategic planning, environmental studies); 1998- 2000 (Swiss Priority Program Environment, National Science Foundation)
- Nucleo de Interdisciplinaridade. Division of Curriculum Development. Pontificia Universidade Catolica de Sao Paulo. Brazil. 5. 1996. On interdisciplinary research.
- Center for Interdisciplinary Research. University of Bielefeld. Germany. 8.1996. On interdisciplinary resources and interdisciplinary science.
- Australian Research Council. 1997-98. On interdisciplinary research program.
- Centro de Investigaciones Interdisciplinarias en Ciencias y Humanidades. Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. Mexico City. 10. 2001 – 2007. On interdisciplinary research and publication projects.
- Universidad Latina de America. Morelia, Mexico. 10.200. Interdisciplinary plan for the university.
- Helsinki University of Technology, Finland. 11.2001 -2005. Member of International Advisory Board of project on “Managing Transepistemic Innovation Processes.” Helsinki, Finland.
- Visits by Foreign Academics: Wilhelm Vosskamp (University of Cologne), Alfred Breidschmidt (University of Berne). Andrea Frank (University of Bielefeld), Ludwig Huber (University of Bielefeld), Shreedhar Lohani (Tribhuvan and Kathmandu Universities), Barry Gustafson (University of Auckland), Geeta Khadka (Tribhuvan University), Henrik Bruun, Janne Hukkinen, & Katri Huutoniemi, (Helsinki University of Technology]